Monday, August 22, 2005

A tale of a Few Kitties.



in 1996 i adopted a 2 month old kitten and was told it was a boy. upon getting into the car and holding it in my lap, i noticed he was a she. at that time, the song 'Molly' by Sponge came onto the radio and that became her name.
Mollie joined me and my 3 year old orange tabby Wolfgang Amadeus Meowtzart in our tiny home in Cutchogue, LI, NY. a year later, we moved to Brooklyn and Mollie turned out to be pregnant. she had kittens, and we kept one of them. His name became Texx, named by my roomie at the time, Muffin. over the course ofanother few months, one of my roomies let Wolfgang out of the apartment and I found him on our street, dead a few weeks later. Heartbroken and angry, i found out the person who had let Wolfie out was my ex boyfriend Max who was still living there. That was the final straw.We asked him to leave. He moved out, and Muffin and i moved on as well.
At this place in my life i had met a special person, my ex-husband Greg. we had both just gotten out of very long relationships and i think we just found eachother at the right time, to not be lonely and found a very fast friendship forming that had a lot of love in it as well. i went back home to Long Island and moved into my aunt Rose's place.Greg took Mollie and Texx into his place, and a few months later we were engaged and moved intoa nice apartment in Greenport, NY.
My friend Scott, a really nice but very sad and lost soul would come see us once in awhile.He had been Max's best friend but never seemed to be able to be friends with anyone else.he had to leave his parent's house and he had a cat named Merlin, who he claimed was fixed,who needed a home. we took in Merlin. he and Mollie and Texx got along well. Greg and I also hada 3 foot iguana named StanLee at the time. the kitties and STanLee all slept together and even shared a litter box. one day, sadly, Merlin and StanLee ripped open a screen in a window andran away. we never saw Merlin again, but StanLee turned up in a tree and frightened the crapout of our neighbor. He came back into the house and we got some heavy duty screening. :D
Merlin left something behind, however. Mollie was pregnant. I had been saving up to get her spayed but since Merlin was supposedly fixed, i was a little lax about it. i knew it was not Texx.Texx was fixed when he was a kitty still. Greg and i were still happy, because Mollie seemed happy.she purred all the time, was even more of a MUSH. the day i went to buy my wedding dress,the kittens came. i remember her sleeping with me that morning, and I could feel them moving in her tummy, like i feel my baby in my tummy now. who would have known how special these kitties would be to us.
I came back from the dress store, and there they were - 4 perfect, beautiful kitties.Greg had already picked out the one we were keeping and named it Grendel. he said he just knewthat was the kitty he wanted, and i said of course, because the 2 cats we already had were mine.the weeks went by, the kitties grew and became little personalities. Grendel was nothing like her namesake. the other kitties were to be adopted so i did not name them at first. but then i felt bad, so icalled the black and white one Lily, and the male tabby Rufus, and the female tabby Chandler.When it was time to advertise, one family showed up, and it turned out to be a couple i knewvery well from working at The Handy Pantry for years. thier kids came in and held each kitty, anddefintiley wanted Lily. they looked at the other two tabbies, and picked Rufus. The little boylooked at the female tabby and said, "i don't want that one, she's UGLY!!" Horrified, i pickedher up and said, "no, she is not. She is PRETTY!" At that moment, i decided that kitty was going tostay with us and be in our family. And i changed her name from Chandler to Priddie that day.
over the next two years we moved out to the Poconos in Pennsylvania. our four kitty children were a constantdelight in what had become dark times for me. every day i'd come home and all 4 of them would be waiting for me with happy meows. I went to college and got a certificate in Web Design, andbegan working as a pharmacy technician. i worked at a mail-order pharmacy for a couple that i reallyfelt uncomfortable with but i liked the work and the pay was great. One day my boss, Andrea,came in with a cardboard box and disappeared into our kitchen. i heard kitty noises. she came out cursing. i asked what was up. she tells me about this kitten she adopted 4 or so months ago that had been abandoned and she could not deal with it anymore. she said she'd had it declawed and fixed but she felt it was 'psycho' and had to be 'destroyed'. I felt panicked and asked if i could go see the kitty. She said ok and i ran sown to the kitchen. i opened the door and sitting at my feet was thisblack cat, meaowing his little heart out. i reached down, heleapt into my arms and proceededto lick my chin like crazy, purring his brains out. his front paws were around my neck and his eyes cried 'please don't let them kill me'. i pet him for a few minutes, then went back to work.When my boss came into the pharmacy, i told her i would take the cat into my home. she looked at melike i was nuts, knowing i had 4 already. she said 'if you want him, he's all yours'. I found outher daughters called him Symon, so i kept that name. i liked it. i went in every time i had a breakthat day and told him he'd be coming home with me, and everything would be ok. I called Greg and told him the story and he said he'd come get him right then if i wanted, but i told him I wanted to introduce Symon to our household.i brought him home that evening, and while it took some time, he fit into our family nicely.Symon has been more like a son than a pet. he seems to know how i tick and how to be there for me.when things were bad, he would just curl up next to me as i lay on the floor wishing for the strengthto go on with my life, licking my face and hands and burrowing into me, so i knew that he was there.
More time passed by and Greg and I finally decided it was time to end the marriage part of our relationship.we knew that our lives were not meant to be as one and that we had different paths in life.Even though we cared for each other very much, we knew that it was a friendship, nothing more.Upon telling this to my family, my sister Colleen asked me to move to Brooklyn with her.when i did move, we had to decided which kitties would live with who. i knew instantly who wouldcome with me. Mollie, the first of the 'children', Priddie, my special girl, and Symon, the catthat was a best friend. Texxy and Grendel loved Greg and it was obvious they wanted to be with him.
While living in Brooklyn, a few things became very obvious to me. One was that something was wrong with meand i wanted and needed help. But i was so frightened of what could happen i put it off. the other wasthat Mollie was very, very unhappy. she disliked Symon and Priddie as well as my sister's mini-pincser Nico.She wanted to be numero uno. and i could see it was affecting her health. I sadly made the decision to ask my friend Richie to take her. He had just lost his kitty and it was perfect timing. I knew it would beso hard but when she left, Rich said she seemed better that very first day. He ended up moving and hadto find her a new home. She now lives in Philly with a lady named Bobbie who loves her so much. Bobbie writes meemails monthly and sends pictures. i sent her Mollie's kitty book with baby pictures and vet records.I know she is happy and safe for the rest of her days. She just turned 9 years old.
in March of 2004 i realized many things. i found a new home for myself, my kitties and my heart.in May i moved north to Boston, MA. I found a sublet apartment but i could only have one cat.i didn't know what to do but my brother Bill and his wife Jenny offered to take Prid becausethey love her so much. So she went to Virginia and Symon came to Boston with Mommie Jenne.
we lived with Tiffany until Spetember and then we moved to our own place. Symon was, as ever,the buddy-son-pet i needed in my life as i built myself up into the woman i am now, and built a strong, solid, loving relationship with Michael. Bill brought Priddie back in October and my babykitties were reunited. when we all moved in together with Michael this past June, i feel like wetruly are a little family, preparing for the arrival of thier human sibling :) I love how Michael took to both kitties, and how they fell in love with him right away.

thanks, as always, for reading.
jenne

5 Comments:

Anonymous Nickel234 said...

I love that story! It's so obvious fate has led you where you're supposed to be! Kitties and all! :)

PS: I miss your lj. :)

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

z!

1:35 PM  
Blogger arnoldsmith6871 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

9:33 PM  
Blogger edderickson0883119327 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

http://pennystockinvestment.blogspot.com

9:47 AM  
Blogger philclinton75100020 said...

Get any Desired College Degree, In less then 2 weeks.

Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

Get these Degrees NOW!!!

"BA", "BSc", "MA", "MSc", "MBA", "PHD",

Get everything within 2 weeks.
100% verifiable, this is a real deal

Act now you owe it to your future.

(413) 208-3069 call now 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home